Now that it’s Fall I start to think about Winter. Here in New York we can have some pretty brutal snow storms that can leave us stuck in the house for a few days.
That’s why every Fall I look in our pantry and start stocking up on the staples we would need incase of a storm and I also make sure I have everything I need in my Lights Out Kit.
The Lights Out Kit is our go to container when we have a storm and our power goes out. This is kept in our Pantry and it has all the essentials we need if the lights go out. That way we are not scrambling all over for flashlights, candles etc.
If you would like to create your own Lights Out Box, here is what I think are the necessities:
- Flashlights: We keep a flash light in other spots around the house as well, but have you ever had a time where you go to grab it and someone..ahem..the kids…played with it and didn’t put it back? That’s why we keep extra flashlights in our box.
- Batteries: With flashlights and other electronics you need your batteries! In our home we use rechargeable batteries because of the kids toys and it just saves money, but if you don’t have power, they’re not an option. That’s why we include different types of batteries in our Lights Out Box. We love the RAYOVAC© batteries. In storage, they hold power for 10 years! (Plus they last longer and are less expensive then competitors.)We make sure we have each type of battery that we would need for the flashlights. That’s why we chose RAYOVAC© Fusion™ in AA and RAYOVAC© High Energy™ in AAA. They are perfect high use devices!
- Candles: Again for another source of light.
- Matches/lighters: Light those candles and light a fire to keep warm without having to hunt!
- Crank radio and flashlight: Years ago my father in law gave us a flashlight and radio that you turn a knob to use. No batteries or plug. Such a great idea.
- Travel cell phone charger: Keep these charged and you’re set for when your battery dies on your cell phone. Don’t forget the cord!
Stocking up our pantry is also essential incase of storms as well. This keeps running to the stores down when other people are panicking and stores are selling out to the items.
Items that we always make sure we have incase of a bad winter storm are:
- Canned Food
- Can Opener
- Kids Food Pouches
- Kids Medicine
What are some of the items you keep stocked in your pantry incase of a storm? Let me know in the comments!
If your looking for RAYOVAC batteries at Walmart you can find them online or on display near the check out aisles.