I started my first small business when I was 13. I made hair scrunchies and would sell them to kids at school and at my small town craft fair. When you’re 13 and making $300 at a craft fair selling something you made yourself, it’s really exciting. It’s also fosters the feeling that you want to continue to create as well as help others feel that excitement too.
In this post I wanted to share just a few of my favorite small businesses as well as encourage you to shop and support small businesses when you can.
“Independent We Stand is all about independently owned businesses across the country reaching out to their communities and educating their neighbors about the many benefits of “buying local.””
When doing your research to find small locally owned business you can do a search for ones near you at: Independent We Stand’s search page.
Now let’s go shopping!
Local Hudson Valley Gift Guide:
I have been a shopper at Adams Fair Acre farms since I moved to the Hudson Valley. This family own business had been a source of food shopping, floral arrangements, greenhouse purchases, local gifts and even my outdoor power equipment.
Adams is also my local STIHL dealer! I have been working with STIHL for over 3 years now and I can’t say enough good things about the products but what makes working with STIHL even more enjoyable is when their local dealers are also one of the best. Always knowledgeable, making sure I have everything I need or answer any questions.
We have also purchased our zero turn down mower from Adams and also taken advantage of their maintenance support. They will even pick up your mower for you for service!
Adams is the ultimate one stop shopping in the Hudson Valley especially during the holidays!
Gift Ideas From Adams Fair Acre Farms:
- STIHL Blue Tooth Hearing Protection – I love listening to music/podcasts while working outdoors!
- STIHL Battery Powered Trimmer – This is so light that I can do my whole yard without feeling like my arms are going to fall off!
- A beautiful plant from their Greenhouse
- Gift Basket filled with their own fudge or local favorite products
- Gift Card – there is something for everyone!
This adorable little book store in the heart of Millbrook, NY is a local little gem. It has it all from books, puzzles and games to stationary and any perfect gift.
The owner, Kira is a wealth of knowledge and will also curate gift selections for you! You can also order over the phone, in person or online.
Gift Ideas from Merritt Book Store:
- Upstate of Mind Tote – adorable tote for school, shopping or travel.
- Puzzles – what a perfect time to tackle one those “hard” puzzles you always wanted to try!
- Books – Every book you can imagine, classics and new. Makes a perfect gift!
- Gift Cards – Have your loved one pick out their own gift!
I was introduced to SallyeAnder a few years ago when they launched their clay masks..and I have been hooked ever since!
SallyeAnder delivers handmade personal skin and home solutions for all ages that are 100% hypoallergenic and support skin health and vitality.
My ultimate favorite is their Eucalyptus Soap. If you have never taken a shower with the scent of Eucalyptus all around you, you are missing out.
Gift Ideas from SallyeAnder:
- Any of their Bath and Body Soaps! Perfect stocking stuffer or added to a gift basket!
- Hand and Foot Therapy Set – Perfect for those hardworking hands and feet!
- Shave Bar – Perfect for the man in your life!
- Perfectly curated sets – Take the guesswork out of gifting
Did you know Poughkeepsie, NY has a certified organic indoor garden right on Main St?
Well this garden is not your average garden. It produces Micorgreens which is harvested and dried into powder. This powder has many different health benefits that you can learn about on their website! Just check out their website to learn more.
I have also written about my experience here. If you’re interested use the code “homegirl” at check out for 50% off! Perfect gift for any loved one in your life!
Favorite Small Shops Around the Country and the Web
- Crafty As A Mother – Custom handcrafted items and gifts
- This is Tisa – Custom bold and fun stationery
- Ora’s Amazing Herbal – Natural Skin Care
- The Honaker Home Maker – String art, felt ball garlands and colorful goodness
- Reimagined Studios – Vintage and ReImagined Home Decor
I hope this post has encouraged you to shop small this holiday season when you can and if you love a small business or are a small business yourself tell me in the comments!